Peter Singer's famous essay "Famine, Affluence, and Morality" (PDF here) argues that charity is a moral imperative. He makes a strong case. The quality of philosophical arguments against this demandingness objection are best summarized by SMBC:
I'm reminded of Godwin's The Cold Equations. Uncomfortable feelings aside, math is math. I've read disparaging sneers about utilitarian ethics, but maximizing the number of lives saved seems pretty straightforwardly good.
For a little more info on effective altruism:
GiveWell
80,000 Hours
29 June 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Review: The End and the Death: Volume III
The End and the Death: Volume III by Dan Abnett My rating: 3 of 5 stars turbo-opera. blood, guts, swords...
-
Been looking at the Asus X200 notebooks for a couple of months. I loved netbooks when they first came out, went through a few. I still thin...
-
Empire of the Dawn by Jay Kristoff My rating: 2 of 5 stars View all my reviews

No comments:
Post a Comment
Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.