26 June 2015

One step forward, three steps sideways

Ok, so put the Asus X200MA notebook on Ubuntu. LAN and wifi drivers work fine right after the install. But the screen's stuck on max brightness, hard on the eyeballs, and changing brightness in settings does nothing. Wasted some time looking for a dark theme, but Ubuntu's got 3 free themes and that's it. (One of the the reasons why I switched back to Windows, I love HiContrast yellow on black.) Googling, this blog post looked promising, so edit in some grub code and brightness keys should work. But "You do not have the permissions necessary to edit this file." Sudo gimme a break. So apparently gedit doesn't have root user powers by default anymore, I'm missing something else. Hello yak, I am here to shave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.

Review: Buglette, the Messy Sleeper

Buglette, the Messy Sleeper by Bethanie Deeney Murguia My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my...