20 January 2012

Watching The Secret World of Arrietty. Studio Ghibli, purveyors of the finest, most wondrous... Luddite propaganda on the planet. Of course I love Totoro and Spirited Away, but still. Cognitive bias hath power to assume a pleasing shape. After rationality and narrative fallacy, what are we left with?  How do we get from magical thinking to the magic of reality? What's left of Watership Down, after we unweave the rainbow? Well, maybe we're left with Terry Pratchett's The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, or close enough. Closer to realism, our plugs fit.

In Schild's Ladder by Greg Egan, the charaters on a distant space station are 2 millimeters tall, to save space and resources. Justification. Already, watching Arrietty, I think, eh, water droplets and sugar grains don't work like that at that scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.

Review: Buglette, the Messy Sleeper

Buglette, the Messy Sleeper by Bethanie Deeney Murguia My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my...