29 June 2013

Charity or death

Peter Singer's famous essay "Famine, Affluence, and Morality" (PDF here) argues that charity is a moral imperative. He makes a strong case. The quality of philosophical arguments against this demandingness objection are best summarized by SMBC:
I'm reminded of Godwin's The Cold Equations. Uncomfortable feelings aside, math is math. I've read disparaging sneers about utilitarian ethics, but maximizing the number of lives saved seems pretty straightforwardly good.

For a little more info on effective altruism:
GiveWell
80,000 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.

Review: The Wild Robot Protects

The Wild Robot Protects by Peter Brown My rating: 2 of 5 stars View all my reviews