24 January 2012

Alain de Botton's Atheism 2.0 TED talk



Everyone seems to be missing the point here. Jerry Coyne scoffsPZ Myers mocks teaching by repetition. Admittedly there are some clangers, but the basic idea has merit. Seems inevitable, really, that secular humanism will evolve its own traditions, so why not get started now? And I loved Neal Stephenson's Anathem, I'd sign up for a Unarian stint in a heartbeat. What cog sci's learning about debiasing and "mental hygiene" indicates a kind of monk-like asceticism can be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.

Review: Buglette, the Messy Sleeper

Buglette, the Messy Sleeper by Bethanie Deeney Murguia My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my...