16 August 2011

This Is Water by David Foster Wallace

A while back I read this post about David Foster Wallace's Kenyon College commencement speech. Seemed fascinating, though I can't stand Infinite Jest. Looked around, but couldn't find the text of the speech.

So yesterday I found the book version. And while it has plenty to think over, the presentation is iffy. Long before xkcd I'd decided that sciences/computers > liberal arts. The ideal Maslow-actualized techie would be baffled by This Is Water. Imagine how Spock or Sherlock or Sheldon Cooper would react to this.

I get what Wallace is saying, and he says it well. But I learned this existential stuff from Greg Egan, Bertrand Russell, Sagan, Heinlein, Asimov. You know, real nerds. Yes, I'm a science fiction snob too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word verification keep out the spambots, but comments will never be censored. Crocker's Rules. Tell me I'm an ass.

Review: Buglette, the Messy Sleeper

Buglette, the Messy Sleeper by Bethanie Deeney Murguia My rating: 3 of 5 stars View all my...